Coaching for Doctors - at a distance
04 September 2017
We know that face to face coaching is best, but busy lives and hectic schedules can mean it's tricky making time to meet.What is distance coaching? By Distance Coaching (sometimes known as e-coaching) we mean that it is performed by email, telephone, SKYPE or FaceTime. It can work for many people; if the arrangements are clearly set out between both parties. The groundwork to set it up is worth investing in and should be a collaborative approach by both people. However, I think it is advisable to meet at least once in person so that you can establish rapport and get to know each other. This allows you to use the distance methods more effectively and with greater confidence. So, whilst the distance communication methods can be incredibly convenient, there are disadvantages to this method:
- Email – Cannot pick up on visual clues and inferences that might be useful.
- SKYPE/FaceTime – Internet/connection issues can interfere with the call.
- Telephone – Privacy of the call, no visual clues and interruptions can cause difficulties.
- Email - Doesn’t need to be carried out in real time and can give both parties time to reflect. Useful for quick updates.
- SKYPE/FaceTime – Free to use, no travel and has many of the benefits of face to face meetings.
- Telephone – Has an ‘intimate’ quality to the conversation that many value and it is, with practice, possible to pick up on non-vernal clues.
- People with limited time to travel and very tight schedules
- People who have a very specific goal that is time bound (e.g. job interview)
- People who prefer the intimacy/privacy of communicating from their home
- People who like the efficiency and accessibility of a distance arrangement
- Prepare for and think about what will be discussed.
- Make sure the space you have is undisturbed and free of distractions.
- Stay focussed and attentive to conversation.
- Agree on actions to be taken forward.
- Reflect on the learning gained.
The quality of your attention determines the quality of other people’s thinking.” Nancy KlineI think his can be done at a distance. If you would like to talk to me about coaching at a distance call me on 0754 0593476 or email me at email@example.com